General Atomics pioneers technologies with the potential to change the world. Behind a talented global team of engineers, GA delivers safe, sustainable, and economical solutions to meet growing global demands. Our Engineers have an opportunity to work on first of a kind product lines within an incredible, dynamic environment.
Engineering positions typically require a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience. Candidates from mechanical, electrical, and aerospace engineering backgrounds must know the fundamentals of engineering system developments, requirements, testing, and integration before getting to the final stages of customer interface and project management.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Senior (8+ years)
Travel: 0 - 25
What makes a successful RF Engineer at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
We have an exciting opportunity for an RF Engineer to join our Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) Group located in Herndon, VA.
The Tiger Innovations team provides innovative, cutting-edge, security solutions for the United States Government. Our employees provide a multi-disciplinary, sometimes non-traditional, approach to generate innovative solutions to incredibly challenging technical problems in the national security arena. Our areas of expertise are in spacecraft payload and system development (especially in the confines of implementing very large amounts of functionality in extremely small, power-constrained environments); unique system development; ground control and operational software development; embedded software development; and unique cyber capabilities. Key customers include the Department of Defense and the Intelligence Community.
With consultative direction, this position exercises considerable latitude in determining technical objectives for the review, research, design, development, and/or solution(s) for a designated engineering system(s) or project(s)/program(s).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Functioning in an advisory or leadership role participates in the planning and oversight of the successful resolution and implementation of engineering problem(s) and provides direction and guidance to professional and support staff.
- Formulates technical plans, typically multi-year, for solution(s) development, documentation, and deployment of the engineering solution (s), as well as responsible for meeting various compliance, reporting, and safety standards.
- Evaluates the integration of the engineering solution within the overall engineering environment; and responsible for planning/overseeing documentation, testing, maintenance, and engineering updates.
- Communicates with engineering professionals, solution users, and management throughout the solution development cycle; represents the company as a prime technical contact on assigned system(s) or project (s)/program(s); selects, motivates, and develops professional and support staff; interacts with senior internal and external personnel on technical matters requiring coordination between the organizations; anticipates future engineering needs; and, develops new or expands existing business opportunities.
- Ensures compliance, reporting, and safety standards are maintained.
- Responsible for troubleshooting of avionics hardware spanning PCBA board testing and defect detection, full functional testing of an assembled unit, and resolving on-vehicle anomalies.
- Create electromagnetic simulation models of hardware (antennas, filters, PCB layout) to design and evaluate performance.
- Write and execute verification test plans, test procedures, and test reports against product requirements.
- Modify electrical schematics and mechanical drawings for flight applications as they relate to reliability and manufacturability.
- Design and troubleshoot RF (UHF, S-Band, X, Ka, or Ku bands) test setups and associated support equipment to support execution of testing strategies.
- Participate in development of new RF designs and drive optimization for manufacturability and cost.
- Actively participate in system level design of satellite systems across all project phases, through attitude control subsystem architectural design development.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelor's degree, maste'rs degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; fifteen or more years of experience with a bachelor's degree, thirteen or more years of experience with a master's degree, or ten or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Demonstrates a detailed and extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice as well as project and/or program leadership including organizing, planning, scheduling, and coordinating workloads to meet established project deadlines or milestones.
- Must possess the ability to contribute to the development of new concepts and principles; resolve unusually complex technical problems; serve as spokesperson on projects and/or programs; and be a technical expert in one or more areas of engineering.
- Previous experience with satellite space systems is required.
- Experience with RF components, wire harnesses, and electrical test equipment (spectrum analyzers, network analyzers, oscilloscopes, power supplies, etc.).
- Knowledge of digital communication systems, spread spectrum, single and multi-carrier techniques and modulation types such as QPSK, APSK and QAM.
- Understanding and experience in environmental testing such as vibration, shock, thermal, burn-in, and TVAC.
- Demonstrated experience with design/analysis/testing of radio frequency (RF) and/or microwave antenna systems.
- Practical design/analysis experience, innovative thinking, and familiarity with the state-of-the-art.
- Proficiency in electromagnetic theory, electromagnetic analysis, and performance budgeting/allocation.
- Ability to work within a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required enabling an effective leadership interface with other departments, all levels of management, professional and support staff, customers, potential customers, and government representatives.
- Customer focused, formulates plans based on the development of innovative new designs in resolving advanced technical engineering problems.
- Must be able to work on a self-initiated basis and in a team environment.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Security Clearance.
Salary:$170,540 - $305,278
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“The company is growing, has a very good reputation and had open positions in my area of expertise (aircraft design/design methodology development).”– Peter, Senior Staff Engineer
“We don't ascribe to quotas; we do ascribe to securing the BEST talent to enrich our culture toward healthy diversification and active/viable community service. We are STEM advocates.”– Debra, CSSBB: Staff Engineer
“Every day is different, with different problems to solve and many programs to support. I am a problem solver and have always been motivated by the tough questions.”– Scott, Laser Scientist
“I work in the Components Engineering and Obsolescence Management Dept. Our efforts are saving General Atomics several millions of dollars by proactively leading and informing the company of all these decisions which significantly impact production, sustainment and new designs.”– John, Staff Engineer