Electrical Engineer VI
General Atomics pioneers technologies with the potential to change the world. Behind a talented global team of engineers, GA delivers safe, sustainable, and economical solutions to meet growing global demands. Our Engineers have an opportunity to work on first of a kind product lines within an incredible, dynamic environment.
Engineering positions typically require a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience. Candidates from mechanical, electrical, and aerospace engineering backgrounds must know the fundamentals of engineering system developments, requirements, testing, and integration before getting to the final stages of customer interface and project management.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Senior (8+ years)
Travel: 0 - 25
What makes a successful Electrical Engineer VI at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies. General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS' expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Electrical Engineer within the Tiger Innovations team which is part of our Electromagnetic Systems group. The position is located in Herndon, VA. The Tiger Innovations team provides innovative, cutting-edge, security solutions for the United States Government. Our employees provide a multi-disciplinary, sometimes non-traditional, approach to generate innovative solutions to incredibly challenging technical problems in the national security arena. Our areas of expertise are in spacecraft payload and system development (especially in the confines of implementing very large amounts of functionality in extremely small, power-constrained environments); unique system development; ground control and operational software development; embedded software development; and unique cyber capabilities. Key customers include the Department of Defense and the Intelligence Community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Key areas of focus include digital and analog hardware development and implementation, including schematic design, board layout, and board functional test, as well as a good understanding of associated firmware and software.
- Work may also include designing, developing, implementing, and testing RF electronics and/or FPGA-firmware.
- Formulates plans, typically long term, for solution(s) development, documentation, and deployment, as well as meeting various compliance, reporting, and safety standards.
- Evaluates the integration of the engineering solution within the overall engineering environment; and ensures that appropriate documentation, testing, maintenance, and engineering updates completed.
- Determines technical objectives for solution(s) to advanced technical engineering problems.
- May function in an advisory or leadership role for a project/program and provide direction and guidance to less experienced professional staff or team of professional staff.
- Plans for future applications of solutions based on new developments in engineering technology.
- Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Job Qualifications:• A bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in computer or electrical engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; twelve or more years of experience with a bachelor’s degree, ten or more years of experience with a master’s degree, or seven or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
• Demonstrates a detailed and extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice with the ability to organize, plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones with some experience in project leadership.
• Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills to effectively interface with other departments, customers, government representatives, and/or professionals; the capability of representing the organization as a prime technical contact; and, the ability to provide leadership and guidance to less experienced professionals.
• Experience with satellite programs is strongly desired, including exposure to the design, integration and test of satellite buses and a basic understanding of launch and flight operations of space vehicles.
• Must be comfortable with designing, developing, and debugging small circuitry which performs sensing, digital data manipulation, and electro-mechanical control.
• Proficiency working with schematics and laboratory testing of electronics hardware and embedded systems (e.g., using logic analyzers and associated lab tools as debugging aids) is required.
• Proficiency in C programming language is desired.
• Experience with RF circuitry/principles is a plus.
• Experience with FPGA development is strongly desired.
• Experience with software development and the Linux operating system environment is desirable.
• Must be customer focused and able to work on a self- initiated basis or in a team environment and able to work extended hours and travel as required.
• US Citizenship is required as is the ability to maintain a Top Secret Security Clearance.
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“The company is growing, has a very good reputation and had open positions in my area of expertise (aircraft design/design methodology development).”– Peter, Senior Staff Engineer
“We don't ascribe to quotas; we do ascribe to securing the BEST talent to enrich our culture toward healthy diversification and active/viable community service. We are STEM advocates.”– Debra, CSSBB: Staff Engineer
“Every day is different, with different problems to solve and many programs to support. I am a problem solver and have always been motivated by the tough questions.”– Scott, Laser Scientist
“I work in the Components Engineering and Obsolescence Management Dept. Our efforts are saving General Atomics several millions of dollars by proactively leading and informing the company of all these decisions which significantly impact production, sustainment and new designs.”– John, Staff Engineer