Director, Flight Operations & Training Center ProgramGrand Forks, North Dakota
Job Summary General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
This position reports to the Senior Vice President, Special Programs and is responsible for directing all aspects of a Flight Test and Training Center. Directs all phases of flight operations and testing in addition to contract cost, schedule, and performance. Responsible for exciting new business area which represents moderate future growth in distinct products or components. Applies established technologies that require advanced principles, theories, concepts, and techniques to provide solutions to a variety of technical problems. Typically accomplishes objectives through subordinate managers. Responsible for decisions that could have an extended impact on outcomes where erroneous decisions could result in critical delays and modifications to programs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct all phases of the program from conceptualization through completion, including acquisition, planning, and managing technical performance to ensure flight safety, quality, business, and financial objectives are attained.
- Develop and coordinate Test/Training plans or other contract deliverables which serves multiple customers.
- Collaborate with technical staff and/or Division/Group executive management to develop and implement current, annual, and long-term technical, schedule, quality, business, and financial objectives for the program(s). May also contribute to the development of Group/Company objectives which have a long-range forecast projected to continue for multiple years.
- Collaborate with engineering to establish design concepts, criteria, and engineering efforts for product research, development, testing, and integration.
- Interact with management and customer representatives regarding programs, operational decisions, scheduling requirements and contractual clarification. Act as primary contact for program issues.
- Direct, influence, and coordinate the preparation of proposals, business plans, proposal work statements and specifications, operating budgets, and financial terms/conditions of contract(s). Influence contract acquisitions, negotiations and modifications.
- Ensure technical leadership and excellence is maintained by directing and participating in the planning, attraction, selection, retention, and development of the required management, professional, and technical talent.
- Act as the primary customer contact for program activities and lead program review sessions with customers to discuss cost, schedule, and technical performance.
- Identify program issues and provide leadership in developing solutions such as re-allocation of resources or modifying contract specification.
- Lead the development of new business opportunities and expansion of existing business opportunities. Participate with Group management in pursuing business partnerships, alliances, and joint ventures that enhance the capabilities of the Group/Company and may result in new products, programs and business opportunities.
- Direct the development of and ensure the security of proprietary technology, and maintain the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Responsible for ensuring all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations are observed wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company. Responsible for ensuring work is accomplished in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Typically requires a Bachelors, Masters or PhD in engineering, science or a related technical field as well as fifteen or more years of progressively complex program administration experience with at least nine of those years managing programs. May substitute equivalent experience in lieu of education.
- Demonstrates detailed and extensive technical expertise and application of program management principles, concepts, and practice as well as comprehensive program management and leadership skills including organizing, planning, scheduling, and coordinating workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones.
- Must be able to develop solutions to complex problems that require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Strong communication, leadership, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required to enable an effective interface with other departments, all levels of management, professional and support staff, customers, potential customers, and government representatives.
- Experience managing flight operations for an aerospace company, university or government.
- Experience managing flight test for an aerospace company, university or government.
- Experience as a test pilot for an aerospace company, university or government.
- Commercial FAA pilot rating or military equivalent.
“Working in Research and Development means every day is something new and exciting. It's always a challenge to test new materials to see if they behave as you expect. It's never boring.”– Steven, Research & Development Engineer
"I like knowing that the projects I work on contribute to the defense of our country."– Micah, Mechanical Engineer
“I work in the Components Engineering and Obsolescence Management Dept. Our efforts are saving General Atomics several millions of dollars by proactively leading and informing the company of all these decisions which significantly impact production, sustainment and new designs.”– John, Staff Engineer