Satellite Systems EngineerDate posted 11/06/2018
Job ID#: 21397BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: Satellite Systems Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Salary
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS’ expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Satellite Systems Engineer working on satellite systems to join our team located in Englewood, CO.
Under general supervision and with on-going review, this position supports the engineering staff in the analysis, investigation and resolution of routine engineering problems of limited scope. Assignments are for small projects or phase(s) of larger projects(s) and are normally outlined in terms of specific engineering activities. Contributes to the completion of assigned engineering tasks which involve the exercise of independent judgment and discretion about matters of significance. Documents findings and implemented solutions, and communicates results to project engineering staff. Contacts are primarily internal within the team. May provide direction to design staff or technicians.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Mission, system and operational concept development for satellite missions, including space and ground segments.
- Apply and further develop expertize in understanding of the roles of each of the subsystems that build up a satellite and the interactions between them.
- Apply system engineering principles to the selection of subsystems as part of satellite concept and design development.
- System level design of space systems across all phases of projects, including requirement analysis, sensitivity analysis, mission analysis, and design trade-offs.
- Functional and performance testing of equipment, subsystems and systems in support of satellite assembly, integration and test; including the generation of test plans, procedures and reports.
- Apply technical knowledge to analyze, investigate and resolve engineering problems, including future applications, and engineering developments.
- Prepare technical responses to bids, presentation materials and reports, for a variety of applications and customers.
- Support and actively participate in customer and supplier meetings and presentations at all project stages.
- Liaise with customer and supplier staff, and staff from other parts of GA.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires a bachelors or masters degree in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and four or more years of engineering experience with a bachelors degree. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Security Clearance is required.
- Experience of at least one satellite mission, ideally encompassing more than one phase of mission development from user requirements to launch and operations.
- Familiarity with all aspects of the satellite system life cycle, including designing and analyzing space and ground segments to the subsystem level.
- Familiarity with spacecraft level environmental testing, launch, and commissioning.
- Understanding of clean room compliance and safe working practices.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately and organize work assignments to meet established timetables.
- Strong communication, computer, documentation, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required, as well as the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Must be able to work extended hours as required and be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and workloads.
Travel Percentage Required : 0% - 25%
Clearance Required? Desired
Clearance Level Secret