Satellite Mechanical EngineerDate posted 01/25/2019
Job ID#: 22390BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: Satellite Mechanical Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Salary
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS’ expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Satellite Mechanical Engineer working on satellite systems to join our team located in Englewood, CO.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists with satellite mechanical subsystem level design, including requirement analysis, mission analysis, and design trade-offs.
- Solve hardware interface problems, define input/output parameters, and specify mechanical tolerances to enable integration of the entire system or subsystem.
- Create and interpret design and manufacturing drawings to enable component procurement and support of manufacturing activities and inspections.
- Generate build and assembly documentation, interface control documentation, test plans and procedures.
- Develop innovative but practical solutions to issues arising in design, assembly, integration and test of satellite systems.
- Undertake integration of mechanical components/assemblies in clean room facilities, maintaining clean room compliance and safe working practices.
- Understand launch environment impacts on mechanical design and demonstrate familiarity with various environmental test standards (e.g. General Environmental Verification or GEVs).
- Interpret environmental test reports and determine level of mechanical test/verification required.
- Design and write specifications for mechanical ground support equipment required for various projects (turn-over rigs, shaker tables etc.).
- Actively participate in system design on missions from bid generation through to launch and operations, with a mechanical system focus.
- Apply technical knowledge to analyze, investigate and resolve engineering problems.
- Prepare technical response to bids, presentation materials and reports to a high standard.
- Liaise with engineering staff on higher-level design, integration and test matters, be flexible and willing to support other teams/disciplines as necessary.
- Liaise with customer and supplier staff, and staff from other parts of General Atomics as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; six or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, four or more years of experience with a masters degree, or two or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Experience with SolidWorks CAD package.
- Knowledge of ANSYS and or NASTRAN finite element model analysis is highly desirable.
- Ability to specify/identify appropriate materials, surface treatments and finishes for mechanical component design in aerospace applications.
- Experience in hardware spacecraft testing, and test requirements is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with all aspects of the satellite system life cycle, including spacecraft level environmental testing, launch, and operations.
- Understanding of clean room compliance and safe working practices.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately and organize work assignments to meet established timetables.
- Strong communication, computer, documentation, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required, as well as the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Must be able to work extended hours as required and be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and workloads.
- US citizenship is required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Security Clearance is required.
Travel Percentage Required : 0% - 25%
Clearance Required? Desired
Clearance Level Secret