Ground System & Operations IPT Lead
General Atomics pioneers technologies with the potential to change the world. Behind a talented global team of engineers, GA delivers safe, sustainable, and economical solutions to meet growing global demands. Our Engineers have an opportunity to work on first of a kind product lines within an incredible, dynamic environment.
Engineering positions typically require a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience. Candidates from mechanical, electrical, and aerospace engineering backgrounds must know the fundamentals of engineering system developments, requirements, testing, and integration before getting to the final stages of customer interface and project management.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Senior (8+ years)
Travel: 0 - 25
What makes a successful Ground System & Operations IPT Lead at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS’ expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
Whether a specific satellite for a specific mission or a constellation of interconnected spacecraft, the GA-EMS Space Systems team is re-defining how customers can access the possibilities of space. GA-EMS offers modular and scalable satellite platforms backed with a history of operational flight experience to support defense, civil, commercial, and academic mission requirements.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Ground Systems and Operations IPT lead to join our team located in Englewood, CO.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide technical oversight and direction of the Ground Systems and operations IPT for assigned program.
- Ensure end-to-end ground system is design, integrated and tested to support assigned program.
- Lead design and development of ground system to support mission unique requirements.
- Oversee development of ground system requirements, ICDs and test plans/procedures.
- Support program design and readiness reviews.
- Liaise with all levels of program and engineering staff on design, integration and test matters and support other teams/disciplines as necessary.
- Support ground system and operations design and development from bid generation through launch and operations.
- Formulate and maintain development plans and schedule inputs as execution occurs.
- Develop Basis of Estimates for assigned program tasks and proposals.
- Develops innovative but practical solutions to advanced technical problems in engineering.
- Provides focal point for technical communication within the Company management and may represent the Company as the prime technical contact to customers and/or government regulatory agencies.
- Presents report(s) at engineering meetings, participates in program reviews and consults on problems.
- Provides expert guidance and consulting to other staff members working on difficult engineering problems.
- Anticipates future engineering needs and the modifications required to accomplish a technical goal.
- Addresses complex and difficult technical issues requiring novel and highly creative approaches drawing on advanced engineering concepts.
- May assume technical and engineering responsibility of the success of an identifiable project.
- Directs activities of design or technical staff and may lead a team of moderately experienced professional staff.
- Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company. Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; nine or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, seven or more years of experience with a masters degree, or four or more years with a PhD.
- Must have prior experience in Space domain and ground system design.
- Prior experience as an IPT lead or technical lead strongly desired.
- May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education. Demonstrates an extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice with the ability to organize, plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones with some experience in project leadership.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment. Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required enabling an effective interface with other departments and/or professionals, and capable of representing the organization as a prime technical contact, as well as providing leadership and guidance to less experienced professionals. Customer focused, formulates plans based on the development of innovative new designs in resolving advanced technical engineering problems.
- Must be able to work both independently and in a team environment. Able to work extended hours as required. A Professional Engineering License, original work(s) published in professional engineering journals, and invited to present one or more original works to an engineering symposium are desirable.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a TS security clearance is required
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“The company is growing, has a very good reputation and had open positions in my area of expertise (aircraft design/design methodology development).”– Peter, Senior Staff Engineer
“We don't ascribe to quotas; we do ascribe to securing the BEST talent to enrich our culture toward healthy diversification and active/viable community service. We are STEM advocates.”– Debra, CSSBB: Staff Engineer
“Every day is different, with different problems to solve and many programs to support. I am a problem solver and have always been motivated by the tough questions.”– Scott, Laser Scientist
“I work in the Components Engineering and Obsolescence Management Dept. Our efforts are saving General Atomics several millions of dollars by proactively leading and informing the company of all these decisions which significantly impact production, sustainment and new designs.”– John, Staff Engineer