Flight Software Engineer V
Albuquerque, New Mexico
General Atomics pioneers technologies with the potential to change the world. Behind a talented global team of engineers, GA delivers safe, sustainable, and economical solutions to meet growing global demands. Our Engineers have an opportunity to work on first of a kind product lines within an incredible, dynamic environment.
Engineering positions typically require a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience. Candidates from mechanical, electrical, and aerospace engineering backgrounds must know the fundamentals of engineering system developments, requirements, testing, and integration before getting to the final stages of customer interface and project management.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Senior (8+ years)
Travel: 0 - 25
What makes a successful Flight Software Engineer V at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS’ expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We currently have an exciting opportunity within our Flight Software Design Engineering group for a Missile Flight Software Engineer to provide on-site support to the Sandia National Labs (SNL) Navigation Guidance & Control (NGC) group responsible for the Conventional Prompt Strike (CPS) program. This opportunity in Albuquerque, NM will focus on embedded software development activities enabling the integration of new capabilities, algorithms, and avionics devices. The established DevOps culture enables staff to contribute to all areas of software design, development, and test.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Implement the software development lifecycle process for the CPS program
- Develop embedded software for highly reliable real-time flight systems
- Write device drivers for real-time operating systems; enable integration of new avionics components
- Assist with software development associated with software test fixtures such as Hardware-in-the-Loop (HWIL) test assets
- Support system-level hardware testing including participation on-console with Assembly, Integration, and Test teams
- Architect and implement software test methodologies
- Act as technical lead for software tasks
- Contribute to software architecture design and development
- Coordinate and collaborate with external program partners to meet program-level objectives and achievements
- Periodic travel may be required to support system-level integration testing and flight test activities. Trip durations can range from a few days to several weeks, depending on assigned roles and responsibilities.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; nine or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, seven or more years of experience with a masters degree, or four or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Must be able to obtain a DoD Top Secret clearance. Active DoD Top Secret security clearance is preferred.
- Experience programming in C/C++ is required.
- Experience in object-oriented programming is required.
- The ability to occasionally travel is required.
- Experience in embedded software development at the application layer is desired.
- Experience developing for real-time operating systems is desired.
- Applications experience with real-time embedded software engineering at the hardware level, including I/O driver software, interrupt service routines, and networking protocols is desired.
- Familiarity with the Greenhills INTEGRITY® Real-time Operating System is desired.
- Lab experience with use of common digital debugging tools (e.g. oscilloscopes, logic probes, and logic analyzers) is desired.
- Experience with software unit, integration, and functional testing is desired.
- Experience in the application of software engineering standards is desired.
- The ability to collaborate and contribute as a member of a multi-disciplinary team is desired.
- Proven strong written and verbal communication skills is desired.
- Technical task leadership experience is desired.
Salary:$116,380 - $208,323
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“The company is growing, has a very good reputation and had open positions in my area of expertise (aircraft design/design methodology development).”– Peter, Senior Staff Engineer
“We don't ascribe to quotas; we do ascribe to securing the BEST talent to enrich our culture toward healthy diversification and active/viable community service. We are STEM advocates.”– Debra, CSSBB: Staff Engineer
“Every day is different, with different problems to solve and many programs to support. I am a problem solver and have always been motivated by the tough questions.”– Scott, Laser Scientist
“I work in the Components Engineering and Obsolescence Management Dept. Our efforts are saving General Atomics several millions of dollars by proactively leading and informing the company of all these decisions which significantly impact production, sustainment and new designs.”– John, Staff Engineer