Experienced MachinistDate posted 01/04/2019
Job ID#: 21975BR
Company: General Atomics Aeronautical Systems
Job Title: Experienced Machinist
Job Category: Manufacturing
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hourly
General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
Under general supervision with general instruction, this position is responsible for performing moderately complex functions related to machine tools. Plans, lays out work, sets up and operates all types of lathes, mills or grinders to machine or grind developmental, production or maintenance parts to exacting tolerances and dimensions.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reviews engineering drawings from sketches, graphic illustrations or verbal/written correspondence to plan sequence of operations. Computes angular and linear dimensions. Determines cutting or grinding tools to be used, method of holding, and machine speeds and feeds.
- Improvises and adapts standard tooling. Performs typical operations such as turning, facing, boring, chamfering, turning tapers, drilling, grooving, reaming; machine compound angles, multiple angels, radii, splines, serrations and keyways.
- Performs all types of helical and spiral milling, drilling, reaming, boring, tapping, slotting, and dovetailing on ferrous and non-ferrous metals and their alloys.
- Operates and/or performs machine set up for any horizontal or vertical lathe, milling machine, or grinding machine.
- May operate computer numerically controlled (CNC) machines.
- Lifts, cuts, loads and secures raw stock into machining equipment for job requirement.
- Grinds own cutting tools, drills and bits.
- May perform preventive maintenance on machines.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations, and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company.
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires an associate's degree, technical/trade school training or equivalent and four or more years related experience. Additional experience may be substituted for formal education.
- Must be customer focused and possess: (1) the ability to perform non-routine or moderately complex set-up and fabrication of machined parts with little direction; (2) strong knowledge of machining equipment including ability to use judgment and safe practices; (3) ability to read and understand engineering drawings, sketches, verbal and written instructions; (4) skills to maintain the flow of work within the unit using independent judgment in solving non-routine problems and recommending solutions; (5) strong interpersonal skills and written communication skills to interface with employees and management; and (6) basic computer skills.
- The ability to work both independently and in a team environment is essential as is the ability to work extended hours as required.
Travel Percentage Required : 0% - 25%
Clearance Required? No