Senior Systems Engineer
General Atomics pioneers technologies with the potential to change the world. Behind a talented global team of engineers, GA delivers safe, sustainable, and economical solutions to meet growing global demands. Our Engineers have an opportunity to work on first of a kind product lines within an incredible, dynamic environment.
Engineering positions typically require a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience. Candidates from mechanical, electrical, and aerospace engineering backgrounds must know the fundamentals of engineering system developments, requirements, testing, and integration before getting to the final stages of customer interface and project management.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Senior (8+ years)
Travel: 0 - 25
What makes a successful Senior Systems Engineer at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We are looking for Senior Systems Engineer to join Mission Payloads and Exploitation (MPEx) team in Poway, California. There is a need for qualified individuals to lead a team in system development for tracking, navigation and airborne sensor resource management. Data fusion, probability, statistics and stochastics. This person must have a wide breadth of engineering knowledge to support writing tracking and fusion for programs such as Air to Ground and Air to Air Radar, Broadband RF, Electronic Intelligence, Electronic Attack and Anti-Submarine Warfare.
DUTIES AND RESPONSILITIES:
- Evaluates the integration of the engineering solution within the overall engineering environment; and ensures that appropriate documentation, testing, maintenance, and engineering updates completed.
- Communicates with engineering professionals, solution users, and management throughout the solution development cycle, represents the company as a prime technical contact on contracts and/or projects, interacts with senior external personnel on technical matters requiring coordination between the organizations, and participates in the development of new or expansion of existing business.
- Maintain, develop and test Sensor Fusion algorithm software.
- Develop and maintain analysis tools to optimize system performance.
- Build domain expertise to assist in innovation of prototypes for new, novel algorithm concepts.
- Build upon and maintain state of the art Sensor Fusion and Data Analysis techniques to design autonomous target tracking capabilities for a variety of sensors and systems.
- Operate as part of a small, fast-paced team whose software is deployed to operations throughout the world and must maintain high standards for performance and reliability.
- C++, Python, Radar, Tracking, Resource Management, Image Processing, Algorithms, State Estimation, Kalman Filter, Bayesian Probability, Internal Map Modelling (IMM), Multi-Hypothesis Tracking (MHT), Signal Processing.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; twelve or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, ten or more years of experience with a masters degree, or seven or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- State Estimation and Dynamics.
- Linear Systems and Feedback Control.
- Probability and Statistics.
- Strong understanding of C++, Python and object oriented design and Git code repository pipeline build and check-in process.
- General understanding of linear algebra, kinematics and state space representations.
- Familiarity with MATLAB.
- Familiarity with the Linux command line.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOD security clearance.
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“The company is growing, has a very good reputation and had open positions in my area of expertise (aircraft design/design methodology development).”– Peter, Senior Staff Engineer
“We don't ascribe to quotas; we do ascribe to securing the BEST talent to enrich our culture toward healthy diversification and active/viable community service. We are STEM advocates.”– Debra, CSSBB: Staff Engineer
“Every day is different, with different problems to solve and many programs to support. I am a problem solver and have always been motivated by the tough questions.”– Scott, Laser Scientist
“I work in the Components Engineering and Obsolescence Management Dept. Our efforts are saving General Atomics several millions of dollars by proactively leading and informing the company of all these decisions which significantly impact production, sustainment and new designs.”– John, Staff Engineer